Swords and boards, or maybe just Swords

So the start of a new year , is a start of a new chapter, I have had this challenge for a while in my mind, and it has been a goal for a while. So this is the start of it. The challenge is to make multiple iconic swords increasing in difficulty , there isn’t really a limit to it , just til I feel I accomplished the goal. This is mostly a modeling challenge to start with, but could turn into more. I am not really sure , will see where it takes me.

I wanted to have something to compare , I first tried this when I was starting , needless to say I didn’t get far, I tried to create one sword that was from a anime called Bleach and this was my result at the time.

1 Like

Looks small but I have a sneaky suspicion this blade is alot larger than it first seems!

1 Like

Lets compare, Add a little bit of reference , I noticed the shape is different right off the bat. The handle is wrong, the wrapping could be better , it was one of the very first things i modeled, Lets see if I can do it again but better this time.

1 Like

Well done man! Never seen that show but familiar with it

1 Like

This! This is what helps, making something and then self critiquing taking notes of what is off, what is wrong, what can be improved and how. That’s how we learn!

Have fun on the journey Gral, it’s definitely gonna be worth the while for you and quite cool for the rest of us to see your swords!

1 Like

I swear!!! i had the same idea to make famous swords through out history and movies and etc.

Like the sword from he-man and thunder cats, and loenidas from 300 and… You get the point.

I think this is a great idea @Gralous !! So, good luck and hope you have some fun!!

P.s - i still gonna do my idea someday, so if you want we can have a sword fight ??:crossed_swords:

Loser has to fight the emus that are conquering Australia ???

1 Like

Made the Blade , gave it a sharp edge , also accurately sized to the anime screenshot I had. Also added two material placeholders. I know the handle is off , will size it up next.

1 Like

Very nicely done man!

1 Like

Fixed a few things i missed proportion wise such as the handle, made the guard. Biggest challenge I had was keeping it all one piece to stay true to the sword along with keeping it sharp and with the sharp point.

1 Like

Very nice man! Now 3D print it and chop your food with it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Some of the swords topology was messed up, the tip was a bit of a mess , took some time , but got it all cleaned up and a nice point, added a bevel to the sharp edge, and shaped the handle to be comfortable in the hand. now its ready for the wrap.

1 Like

Bevel on the top of the sword too

1 Like

Started the wrapping of the handle

1 Like

Modeling is done for this sword , the sword changes in the series and this is the first form of the sword. So I figured , may as well make the second form too. So that will be the next sword on the list, and texturing or Mats will come later.

1 Like

Decided not to make the second form and move on to a different anime sword , this one is from the series Sword Art Online “SAO”. This is the main characters first sword called “Elucidator” and I may end up modeling his other sword as well , but we will see.

1 Like

So had to remake the shape for the blade cause ffound out my reference was incorrect

1 Like

Added the hilt,handle, and cut a notch in hilt for the blade to eventually sit into

Worked on some of the hilt today