Subdivision surface not working?

I just looked at this file and it is working just fine for me. The subdivision surface is there and in fact working. No need to change anything. The normals are all the same this time and looks fine. Just they are backwards, which really doesn’t affect the subdivision surface in this situation as they are all facing the same direction, just seeing the backs of all them. The third image is the way it opened for me so the subdivision is working as expected, if you are talking about the smooth look then in object mode press “W” and select smooth shading.

FlyingBanana: Interesting. In the udemy class, it shows the subdivision when you look at the wineglass, right after you add the modifier. When I add and remove the modifier in my copy of blender, I see absolutely no change to the wineglass, and that’s been true with all of the wineglasses I’ve made, even with adjusting normals and such. Maybe it’s something messed up in my settings. 

I don’t want it to look completely smooth yet, because I may want to be adding loops and adjusting things a bit, but I do want to see where some of the subdivisions are happening to smooth it. 

Thanks for looking at this and for the help! I really appreciate it!

Where did you get the face orientation / view normals drop-down in the second picture that you posted? I can’t find that anywhere. (I’m on Blender 2.80, if that makes a difference). 

I am not sure why I can’t see the subdivision the way that it shows in the Udemy video. 

I am using a custom beta version of now 2.81 that is part of added features that is for another software that I use for compositing and video editing. Makes life easier instead of having to click everywhere it is just one location and you can get a shaded view of front and back. You will need to turn on like in my first video the normals indicators (blue lines) to see which direction they are facing and decide if they need flipped or recalculated.

You may try setting your version of blender back to it’s default settings and see if the subdivision works as it is supposed to after doing so. If that don’t work then maybe try downloading it again https://www.blender.org/

Here is where you can find it in 2.8x . Blue is outward facing, red is inward facing.  

I swear Blender must hate me or something.

I went into the preferences and loaded all factory settings, and saved those settings. Then, I created another wine glass (hey, at least I’m getting good at this part!). Filled the loops at the top and bottom where the parts that were spun connect. Ran the “merge vertices by distance”, and had 17 vertices merged. Checked the normals, and flipped them since they were red, so now the normals are all purple. Switched to object mode, clicked on my wineglass, and then went to Add Modifier. Added the Subdivision Surface Modifier.

No visible change to my object from adding the modifier. So, I increased the viewport setting for it (for some reason it always wants to default to 1?). Bumped it up to 3… no change. Bumped it all the way to 6… still no change. My wine glass looks exactly like it did before I added the modifier.

I’m not going past here for now because from what I’ve seen of the udemy lessons past this, they all seem to use this modifier (along with other modifiers) a lot, so I feel like I’m just going to stay stuck until I can figure out why I can’t get this to work. 

You two both say that it appears to be working for you, which means I’m either doing something wrong, or I’m misunderstanding what should be happening. 

FlyingBanana, the images you posted don’t appear to have the surfaces subdivided, either, except for the final image where you showed what happens if you do a smooth after. In the video on Udemy, when Alex adds the modifier, all of the faces on the wineglass split immediately into 4 separate faces. Then, he’s able to make loop-cuts and adjust the shaping a bit by moving those cuts around. When I add the modifier, the faces stay the same way they were before I added it. And when I remove it again, nothing happens there, either. 

I’m including a picture of what I see before the mod, and then another of what I see with the mod. Is this correct?  In blender 2.80, should I not be seeing the modifier do anything to the image on my screen?

Thank you both for all the help. I’m sure that I’m just missing something minor, but I can’t figure out what it is that I’m missing!

It works trust me, I just have the viewport option turned off for the subdivision so that you could see the normals easier. And I didn’t do the smooth until I turned subdivision surface visibility back on for the viewport. I don’t believe there is anything you are doing wrong as your file you posted looked absolutely fine and the subdivision surface was showing and working as soon as I opened the file in blender. Have you tried redownloading blender to see if there is a possible issue with your current version? Cause I see no reason in the file you sent or the method you are doing for it not to show other than possible hardware compatibility or a bad version of blender that got downloaded missing files or corrupt files or something along those lines.

I would seriously try to download another version as I even searched for issues myself for sanity sake of why a subdivision wouldn’t show in the viewport and only came across one instance but it was indeed due to a bad download. Issue was fixed with a current and not a daily build of blender. What are your pc specs as well not that a simple subdivision would be an issue unless you are using blender on a potato from the dark ages. https://developer.blender.org/T61384

I will try reinstalling. I’m running on a pretty new Asus laptop with reasonably good specs, so I doubt it’s the specs of the laptop. I’m running on lubuntu, in i3wm. I installed via ubuntu’s apt repository. I imagine that there would be a lot of whining if the Ubuntu apt repository had a bad copy of blender, but I may have had issues downloading somehow or something, so I will try uninstalling/reinstalling. If that doesn’t work, I can try downloading manually from blender’s site as well.

Thanks!

Woohoo!

Thanks for the help, FlyingBanana!  Apparently the version of blender in the apt repos was the problem. Reinstalling that didn’t change anything, but downloading a 2.81a from the blender website fixed everything! 

Great to hear! Now you can enjoy the learning and creating properly. But hey you are a pro at making wine glasses now though. :slight_smile: