My Portfolio and where it all began

Then I kind of got in the mood for making anime swords, so I made some from Sword Art, another anime I liked. I only modeled them as a challenge to myself. First was Elucidator.

Second was Dark Repulser

3 Likes

I had quite a bit planned but I just didn’t have the time, with being in and out of hospital.
somewhere toward the end of the year I think, I still had a kick about modeling anime stuff and I always wanted to model a gun. So I combined the two. Also not doing a lot of 3D I really wanted to challenge myself. I chose to make the revolver from Trigun. One of my favorite anime. One of my hardest projects I have done also.

3 Likes

luckily I found good reference I could make work

1 Like

calm down gral! I can’t put a heart on everything that fast D: This is all so amazing

2 Likes

sword art online

1 Like

Yeah you knew what I ment

1 Like

I’m going to try to break the progress up, it was a very long project, and this is just the modeling for now.

1 Like

I started with a rough blockout after setting up some references that were pretty close. the blockout was mostly for alignment purposes.

I think first thing I did was match the rifling for the barrel to the anime, and cylinder so they were aligned correctly, I think I made a bullet to make sure it was all to scale.

The cylinder was not easy, took a lot of topology control to create it without it looking distorted , I think I made 3 until I got it right. Because I had to made a brake stop for each rotation to stop it to fire otherwise it would just free spin. That are the notches in the side which had to line up when bullet was aligned with the bullet.
A lot of making a gun is about alignment of every piece. even the smallest detail like the 2 pins for alignment of the ejector of the bullets on back of cyleinder

Then I worked on the receiver of the gun ,trigger and hammer, grip.
receiver:

Grip:

13 - Copy
13 - Copy

Made some details, the latches to lock the front barrel in place , since it releases and flips forward

3 Likes

Was time to make front receiver, I made some mistakes a long the way but was able to fix them.

3 Likes

It was at this point I made a decision. In the anime, it is not just a revolver, it is a alien weapon, in it sit a artifact that causes the weapon to transform, and so I made the choice to include that , made the plates, artifacts, screws, sights, I wanted all the details.

And here it is finished modeled.
(2021)

I always wanted to finish it once I learned shader nodes more.

5 Likes

That was the end of 2021

2 Likes

At the start of 2022, I place a vote up to ask people what I should make next, what won was a robotic arm, I knew what I wanted to make , but as I tried to get into it , I found I didn’t have the knowledge to make what I wanted to make, so it got pushed back until I could gain the skill to do so.

So I moved onto something I could do, I had this little cannon on my desk that was a pencil sharpener, I always wanted to make something like it in 3D , So I went out searching for what cannon it was, and then references of the cannon. It took a while , but I found something very similar. and started blocking it out, then started with the barrel.

Turns out these things were quite modular and I knew I had to make sure that was seen in the model.
So moved onto the wheels.

Then shaped the body , added details like handles, latches, bolts metal bands for reinforcing.

2 Likes

More details, its always in the details

1 Like

I found chains are a pain, they always distort, I came up with a way to instance the links so that it was impossible to distort, a little trial and error, but I got a good result and it was somewhat controllable. It work for this anyhow , so I made some kinked chains and so hanging and that was it, and would come back to it eventually for materials.

Results:

Screenshot 2024-03-07 181547

4 Likes

this is amazing

1 Like

Again with not a lot of time, I didn’t get a lot done, but I am always working toward a larger project that uses techniques from previous projects. I wanted to take and render in Blender a test to see if I could figure out how to render my Cad stuff I did, mostly a original Lego model I built from actual Lego pieces, digitally created it in CAD. It was a Star Wars Tie Bomber I made. Eventually I figured a way to do it and it came out great.

2 Likes

Practiced some modeling, several projects were planned , but I had to push them back to come back to later.
I did finish modeling a soap bottle for practice, and another project I wanted to model, The Arc Reactor from Iron Man suit.

3 Likes

into 2023 Starting off, I joined a valentine HOP, and was doing some material node practice, trying to learn nodes.

Node Practice:

EYE
Joined another HOP (crazy hat)

1 Like

Then decided to join The main contest themed “Pirate”. I always wanted to make a pirate ship, so figured we would give it a go, had all kinds of reference for this one but being a big D&D player, I wanted to make a pirate hide out with the ship. This was a long project, I ran into so many issues, and had to learn a lot for what I wanted to make. I had a specific idea that I wanted to make and didn’t stray from that idea. Some of the issues I had was fog, texturing the ship, alignment issues, fluid simulation for water falls.
Some things I learned was, some geometry nodes stuff for tentacles and chains, my fluid simulations would just break so used a material instead, how to make fog. It also won 1st place in the contest.
Rendered:

2 Likes

Another HOP contest

1 Like