My Portfolio and where it all began

THen I started a new project, creating my ceiling fan, which was a pretty strange shape. I wanted to get super detailed. As I was getting ready to start this, I was watching a makers video and heard something that stuck with me. It was this “If you want to master something you must first be able to master the most simple things that lead to it and that is what is more impressive to people looking to hire someone”, if you can show the process or the mastery of its simplest form. For instance If you could make a perfect bolt and nut, that fit together perfectly with perfect topology, that is mastering the basic form. Another example is you could make a painting with people in it , but if you could show you can draw the human form and pose them, that is you showing you have mastered that form and that is more impressive then a painting or drawing with people in it. Because this stuck with me. I started to think, the simplest thing on my fan is a screw. So again, I made so many screws and bolts, until I did it perfectly. Once I did that , I just made the things I needed. I knew I wanted to make a fan with high quality and details. I took pictures of my fan and started working. I made all new screw heads that was very specific to my fan. I didn’t really need the threads, as they were not going to be seen, however if needed could easily add them on in future.

These were the screws my specific fan used

1 Like

A lot of things were done in pieces and appended into another file, so first I started with the base fan.

2 Likes

Then I created the lights

1 Like

Made the emblem and pendants

1 Like

And put it all together

1 Like

Then I started playing with nodes to make brushed metal on the fan and try to match the exact metal look, which took me down a rabbit hole. This is only some of the examples

1 Like

in the End I had come up with 3 that was close to what I wanted.

The last one is probably what I would have used, after that the fan blades had a specific pattern of wood grain and I could not figure out how to make it. lack of knowledge still. So I stopped it for now , and figured I would return to it once I learn how to create them. So this project was put on hold, and it will get finish eventually.

1 Like

So being discouraged from not bein able to finish the fan, I joined the October main contest and made a Pumpkin. Something just for the fun.
(2020)

Also was messing around with making a stylistic toon shader at the time. But I couldn’t get it right.

1 Like

Then I chose a new project, I thought it would be cool to make my own Shaderball for materials. I saw a few and I just combined some elements from the ones I saw and added my own stuff as well.

Renders:

So now I have something to test materials on.

3 Likes

Some sick works here man! Awesome to see everything in one spot too!

2 Likes

There was a time shortly after that I joined a hour of power contest, the theme was “dragon”. I tried to make a dragon emblem, I don’t think I have the result, but it was awful, and made me very upset at myself. So I studied how I could again achieve this and created this to kind of redeem myself. So then I was content with my result.

Renders:
(2020)

3 Likes

I think that ends the work for 2020.
I always take screenshots while I am working on my projects, I like to reflect how things were created.

2 Likes

Something to note , 2021 and 2022 was not great years for me, I was in and out of surgeries like 6 times. So I didn’t get a whole lot accomplished. However I joined the main contest “Valentines” , and I knew someone I wanted to create something for, for they were someone special to me, as well as I don’t make a lot of organic things. I knew this would be a challenge. So I wanted to make a rose, Karen on here gave me tips on making petals. It turned out pretty good.

3 Likes

Main problem I ran into quickly , was the material for the rose, after playing around with many nodes setups, I found something that would work but it was smooth, so as it would work , I went out and found someone who scanned in rose petals, I worked that into my node tree and to automatically change the color of the petals, it kind of worked, I said that will do, and then built onto that to create kind of a light velvety suface on the petal. After a lot of tweaking I got something passable.

2 Likes

Then I needed a surface to sit it on, thought a nice candle would look amazing, so I made a globe and a candle inside it.

3 Likes

Then I told myself it was missing something, and its boring, so decided to turn the lights down low,

Felt it needed something, and after some tweaks, I felt it needed two roses and something else, and I made the choice to personalize it. This became the end result. I think I also won 1st place also
Renders:
(2020)

4 Likes

In between some surgeries, I started working on a stop watch , I wanted to make one with it in someone’s hand gripping it , maybe some kind of effect glowing from it , I don’t know, it was for a banner I was making for Hour of Power Wednesday since I run it, so I started making a stop watch, nothing super fancy or anything.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 194214

My friend was making a hand to hold it. It never got finished completely, I may still do it, I have to find the hand again. Might be something for the future.

2 Likes

There then came a time, I was looking back and said, you know I should try to make that sword i messed up long ago. So I collected all the reference. The sword is from before at the start of all of this. This one.

2 Likes

I wanted to do it justice , do it right , make it like it should have looked. When you first start out , you get all these crazy ideas, and this was a frustrating one at the time. However this time, I knew I needed to collect reference. Problem with anime, is it’s not always drawn correctly or feature won’t be in it, scale, so I was very selective on my references.

2 Likes

First this is a amazing anime, highly recommend it, and its finally getting a ending it deserves. That said the weapon he welds is called Zangetsu is its basic form. What I made was no where accurate before , this time I want it as close to the actual blade. I believe my goal was achieved and a great tribute to the show.

Made the wrap and made it come off and become frayed

Renders:
(2021)

2 Likes