Makings of a Blob

So I’ve been away from Blender since last year and was figuring how would be the best to get back to it… Last I was working on a project from Alex’s sculpting course and I was having issues with a render bug, which was partly the reason I had not finished the project yet.

Thinking it’s probably not the brightest idea to start again by trying to resolve an issue, which could be demotivating, I remembered what Alex said during one of the HoPs…:

One of the most common beginner mistakes is to take on too big of a project and getting demotivated when you realise you don’t have the skills to see it through to the end. For an example instead of trying to animate a full character with arms, legs and facial expressions as just a beginner, you should start smaller, like animating a simple bouncy blob.

And since I need to remind (re-learn) myself of all the things I’ve learned so far in Blender, I decided to take on a small project. Something relatively simple, yet putting to use all the knowledge from the sculpting course so far. So makings of a Blob it is! Thanks for the inspiration, Alex. :grin:

I don’t know if I’m going to animate it in the end (technically I haven’t learned that yet) but I’ll surely sculpt, do the retopo, paint it using UV maps, and place it in a scene.

And I’ll be leaving the updates under here for you to see and give feedback on :grin:
So here is my very first simple set-up. Next on to sculpting this fella :saluting_face:

3 Likes

I think it really depends on skill and comfortability on how you want to get back into it, if you look in my Works in progress, you will see things that say back to it or something similar, that was during times I had surgery, or close to it. I would throw something within my range of doing , but also was still challenging to me. I have a habit of throwing myself into the deep end a lot of the time and pushing hard, cause its the skill level I know I should be at that time and it angers me when I can’t, but that is me and you are not me, and a lot of time it works out, but not all the time. Pick something that you know you could make, doesn’t have to include learning new things. You just trying to get your feet wet again, get used to the tools and whatnot, make it something small, like a toaster, ufo, some kind of food, idk. then do something again that challenges you more but something you know you can do if you only needed to learn a couple things. Then it will click, and you will have the drive to improve again. If anything I can say, other then that is ,don’t force it, take your time and enjoy yourself. You gotta start somewhere.

3 Likes

haha awesome Naya! Yeah have fun with it! Glad I could be of inspiration! Look forward to seeing the result!

2 Likes

Now I’ve done a simple base sculpt and retopologized it. Here’s the process for anyone to see. :>
Thought it would be fun and useful to record the process. Was nice going back to the ‘fish’ in the sculpting course and seeing how retopology was done there.

Next time I shall sculpt the details using multires modifier.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Bunny for Easter! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Alrightyy my Blob is evolving. Here’s sculpting timelapse from today. I had fun! It looks like some game character haha.

Next steps are… adding seams and unwrapping, baking the normal map.

2 Likes

Doing better than me sculpting. I cant even sculpt chewed bubblegum.

1 Like

Have you done the sculpting course yet? :stuck_out_tongue:
If not then there is even no basis for comparing each other’s skills :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m sure you can do it too if you want to learn ^^

1 Like

@Naya Nope, haven’t done any sculpting courses. Just not really my cup of tea. I really like seeing though what others who do sculpt come up with. I am mainly just a hard surface type modeler, I might sculpt a rock or two but that’s about it.

2 Likes

Gotcha! ^^ Well thats good, we need variety anyway, not everyone has to enjoy doing the same things ^^

2 Likes

I finished it and here’s a link to the final work, alongside with the full process speed lapse video!

3 Likes