Finding and removing non select-able objects in the view port

Here is something that may save users time in the future when trying to find a crazy object in the viewport that you can’t select, that somehow seems linked to turning “overlays” on. Just go down through the outliner using the down arrow key from the very top collection and when each new line/object is highlighted in the outliner just use the “h” key to hide it in the view port. When you locate it this way it is most likely your crazy object. Before you delete it make sure you back up your blender file. Hope this saves someone some time as I spent way to many hours trying to find an easy way to find the offending object. This is the quickest way I have found to date.Here is something that may save users time in the future when trying to find a crazy object in the viewport that you can’t select, that somehow seems linked to turning “overlays” on. Just go down through the outliner using the down arrow key from the very top collection and when each new line/object is highlighted in the outliner just use the “h” key to hide it in the view port. When you locate it this way it is most likely your crazy object. Before you delete it make sure you back up your blender file. Hope this saves someone some time as I spent way to many hours trying to find an easy way to find the offending object. This is the quickest way I have found to date.

good idea… i’ve ran into that a couple times… usually when its super late and i shoulda went to bed hrs before… lol…

This not always clears up the offending object that in my case was non select-able, on the first try. You may have to do this procedure multiple times to finally get rid of the offending object. The first time I located the offending object I right clicked on it and selected delete. In all it’s wisdom Blender decided to bring back that object in the outliner. This time though it was a sub-child of the first object I deleted, now sitting in the outliner outside all by itself with under no parent. I selected this now non parented sub-child object that was now a new line in the outliner outside of it’s original object and deleted that as well. I also got rid of empty collections and objects that had no sub-child information in the outliner as well. This made it easier to locate the bad object in my case. Always back up your dot blender file before you do any of this. Or else…

ahhh yes… numerous times i’ve imported an object that has numerous parts that are all parented… and then I decide to delete the main object and if I dont select all the pieces as well… they end up a mess that ya have to go find each of those objects and delete as well… since then I’ve learned to expand everything involved in an object and select everything involved in outliner when I do that… saves big headache of cleanup…

You can also right click on the outliner on the parent object and select ‘delete hierarchy’ to quickly delete the parent and all child object without even having to expand or select them manually. ?

Agreed tried that is another way. But you have to make sure that all the sub-child objects are deleted even though you select them and delete the hierarchy. Or else they wind up as non attached sub children in the outliner. And come back visible in the viewport.