Ace Stapler 102 - time to get back to it again

I’m going to try to explain this as best as i can , my drawing is a little messy, next course of action , there is a odd shape used to hold the spring in , I know its held in with a pin that is square for some reason and then goes round with a screw on the side and square nut on the other , I am thinking that is so the spring mechanics in the middle doesn’t spin, (orange square) there is also some kind of guide in the center of essentially a tape measure once you put the other side on in, since it being really old, it has to be pretty simple , so I think its some kind of rounded channel the tape sits in (orange bumpers), from the diagram I can see a square plate (blue), guessing that’s some kind of mounting plate, and every time I see a old spring mechanism, they also are fixed inside with like a S shape, so I am also assuming that that line through the center is the spring (Green). So those are my next steps.

Oh also there is the red arrow, that is a small latch for the case of the tape measure to hold it together

3 Likes

Done and Done!

Now I will do the outer shell of the head of the stapler

4 Likes

Should be fairly easy , take those shapes, refine the shape, make them into a plane that wraps around , extrude or solidify. It’s nice to take a break and work on something easier to kinda break from all the thinking.

2 Likes

While starting to make the shell, realized something is missing, I did not make the pin through the middle with a screw, which also means the spring can’t go like that , so got to fix it. I will have to make a new center block with a hole in it

Since I have to account for the pin , this is what makes sense to me. then I just gotta shape and knife a new cube to make it all fit nicely.

2 Likes

After doing this many times , this seems the best I could get it , even though I like the first one more , this one is more accurate to my model

Now back to the shell

4 Likes

OK , so I need to finish up a couple Quads , but decided to make the side into a plane then refine the shapes, make sure I have quads where i need them and then Symmetrize on the +X to -X which will copy the side onto the other side using the world origin kind of mirroring it essentially , I use symmetrize all the time such a time saver then I will join them on the front and then solidify. That’s the plan.

4 Likes

And after fixing of some loops, and extruding a piece on the top , also if you can’t tell I bevel everything

Scale X on the neck to match the shell and ref, and then that’s the result

4 Likes

Looking clean and good. As usual with your works.

2 Likes

Fixed my bevel by adjusting angle on bevel mod, and scaled back my pins for a nice fit, I think I gotta make screws next , which I hate making, but if done well , they look great, no I will not be using bolt factory, I could, but what fun would that be. plus I can make better screws then the addon

3 Likes

As I was starting the back plate , I noticed I needed to add new holes for the screws to hold the back plate on, so added those

3 Likes

Made the back plate
pic_002

3 Likes

Made some really nice screws and made the rivet side of the pin

3 Likes

OK, too a little fiddling to get those bevels in, last update for tonight, this is where it’s at , I am pretty happy with it, screw was too small , so enlarged the smaller screws, got to make rivets next, I feel like I shoulda done this before extruding the shell. There’s not much I can do though, just got to push forward ,I also want to point out I have not booleaned anything. Just added everything manuallywith good topology

4 Likes

Now I will take some time to clean up my outliner, because I have a habit of forgetting to rename thing, then everything is cube and cylinder
Screenshot 2023-11-14 120717.PNG

Next

2 Likes

Update, made the pins, and made a missing spring

3 Likes

THere is a nut that somewhat floats there , that goes through the bearing gear thing, going to refine that next

3 Likes

I believe the head is done now, probably will move on to the neck next

4 Likes

Drew this best I can , gotta make a few plates the travel down the neck

3 Likes

As I started this process, it became a little messy, some things needed to be adjusted for it.

Because there is so many little object little objects it’s hard to see them when its all gray, I have changed the matcap to Random, so I can see my model piece I am trying to work on.

3 Likes

Need some staples, easy, going to take a curve from profile of rear of the neck (red area) the mesh. Seperate it out ,bevel , change to a curve, curve properties and add depth,add array. Yay! Staples

3 Likes