baking vs unwrapping

Question, since I need to start either unwrapping or baking all these things I made to package them up… Should I unwrap or just bake? or both? They are part of a bashable kit, for not just ue4/unity but for daz3d and other similar programs. Which road? They have material details, some have emissives, almost none are ‘just square’ or smooth sided, they have details. Should I bake first then unwrap, vice Versa or one or the other? tbh, i suck at the ‘after i’m done making things’ part.

Hey Elizabeth! What are all these things? Are you talking about baking and uvunwrapping textures for models? Could you elaborate a little more what you are trying to do? Thanks :slight_smile:

Yes unwrapping for models, i.e. Walls, floors, etc. the have emmissives as part of the materials, to act as lighting. But they aren’t just square or flat surfaces. So I’m not sure if I should bake it first then unwrap? I kinda don’t want the seto have huge files, so I thought baking it would be bette but then I still have to unwrap right?

Yes you can bake it and then unwrap it. Also you can play around with both ways and see which way gives you the best result that you are wanting

Yes you can bake it and then unwrap it. Also you can play around with both ways and see which way gives you the best result that you are wanting