Blendermania Forums

Find answers, ask questions, share your work, and connect with our Blendermania community around the world!

Home Forums Works in Progress Extruding a Dream to Reality: Case 1

• Extruding a Dream to Reality: Case 1

• DriftingEmbers

June 30, 2020 at 4:12 pm

This is a personal project, one of a few. But this is one of my top 2 most important ones to me, personally.

For those who maybe don’t know or at least don’t know the details, I have a character who is pretty much the icon of my art world, including pixel art, potential games, sketching and all kinds of story concepts. I’ve had Ryo since 2004/2005. For the longest time, I’ve wanted to have him actually do things. He’s one of the main characters I’ve progressed my sketching skills with and overall I have a major connection with him in heart. But every project (aside some sketchwork) I’ve attempted to have with him never really goes through and mostly it’s due to a lack of understanding of how the methods work. Blender was something I’ve found to be a possibility to at least play with a model of him and see if I could eventually get him animated and with that, maybe other people would like him, too.

He’s evolved over the years, but he’s now in his perfect base form, I think. And with that, plus new training and developing of my Blender Powers – thanks to the courses by Alex – Ryo is making the transformation from 2D to 3D. He’s already gotten a low-poly model, but I’m working on another low-poly model with a little more detail. At least to give him a face, you know? The body might be relatively the same, but I do intend a slight bit more detail while keeping the obvious squares.

I fully intend for Ryo to eventually become High-Def, life-like and believable. But for now… we’ll call this Low-Poly: Phase 1.

I just wish to show the steps taken to make this happen. This project means a lot to me.

(Second picture and the reference shown in the last picture are drawn by the fantastic artist Xelgot. I did the first picture and the models.)

• blendermania

Administrator
    June 30, 2020 at 9:13 pm

Dude this is so awesome to see and hear the progress of Ryo! Definitely a cool character you came up with and definitely see a video game or TV show made from it! Keep it up man. Can’t wait to see it animated in Blender!

• Eladd

July 1, 2020 at 12:39 am

If you drew those images then I commend you. I would like to draw like that and hope to some day. It sounds like you have some ambitious goals and I think your well on your way. The low poly rendition looks like him so is a great beginning. Will look forward to your future renditions.

• DriftingEmbers

July 1, 2020 at 10:28 am

I drew the concept art of him in the bone armor. The one of him in green pants and the ref image I’m basing the model on were done by a friend of mine and fantastic artist, Xelgot. But thank you, all the same!

• DriftingEmbers

July 2, 2020 at 2:49 pm

Well, the second model with more detail on the face is done. However, I’m left in a bit of a mixed emotional state when seeing it. The hair particularly, I don’t know what to do with to make it look better. While I do like that he has a more recognizable face, something about it is not doing it for me. And I’ve figured out why:

The newer model looks unfinished, even though it is finished. It looks unfinished because it has the look of the basic building blocks to a high-res model, but it isn’t a high-res model. It looks like an in-between state in its finished form, which makes it seem a bit odd. So when it comes to a specifically low-poly scene, I’ll continue to use the first model done, loosely based on Martin.

Don’t think this means I feel like my time was a waste. It wasn’t. It was a major learning experience and I feel as I learn new techniques, I can use this model, edit it, refine it and make it the beginning step to a higher-res form. More will be in store for the buff elf, but I wanted to give a report on the latest news on him.

Also, expect a slight change and some experimentation with the first model as well, as Ryo will need to at least attempt to have some of his barbarian-style clothes at some point.

• blendermania

Administrator
    July 3, 2020 at 12:27 am

Wow super cool man! He is evolving! Fingers and eyes and everything. Can’t wait for the final rendition of it 🙂

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now