Difference in subdivision of surface

I’m making this question here because udemy had a technical problem and I couldn’t ask there (I already sent a ticket). While making the sword in the Ultimate Blender Guide, as I chose to make a different one than Alex’s, I had some problems with polys and the subdivision surface modifier.

As you can see on the image above, the polys on the sides are very alike, but the subdivision surface has changed it differently. I urge your attention to the left side, as it has gotten some rounded form.

In other situation I had a half-of-an-loop edge that only appeared in the object mode and, in order to hide it, had to increase the size of the entire hilt. It just was there, immovable, invisible in edit mode.

Anyway, back to the first question: What might have happened with the modifier in this situation?

Hey Daniel! Yes very strange indeed. Well I would say that there is possibly a difference in the mesh even if it is ever so slight. I think the simplest way to fix this (without actually seeing the mesh) is to select the half of the sword that doesn’t look correct, delete it and then add in a mirror modifier above the subsurface modifier. Apply the mirror modifier and you should be good with 2 identical sides :slight_smile: Let me know if that helps

P.S. When you post images, keep in mind that when you choose add media, you have the option to select the size of the image, either small, medium or big. You can select big for it to be more visible :slight_smile:

I would suggest something similar to what Alex said. Delete one half, select the middle loop and scale it to 0 on the X axis and add mirror modifier.

Or, even simpler, use Symmetrize. You can see the option in the W panel. It will simmetrize the model to look the same in both sides of the axis.

Apparently it was really different polys. I used the mirror modifier and it resolved the problem. I will make sure to try Symmetrize next time something like this happens ;D. Thanks, guys!

haha glad you figured it out! I never thought of using Symmetrize but that’s the beauty of the community…getting different feedback! :smiley: