Default Sphere WIP

I’m thinking of making a scene from the bible where Eve is about to grab the fruit (apple) from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. I didn’t want to wrap a texture around the apple so this is my attempt at vertex painting it.

The apple, stem, and leaf started as a single icosphere that I sculpted. Planning on adding more to the scene but wanted to get input on this so far.

Started working on the tree limb, added a bit of subsurface scattering to the apple, and I’m working on finding a composition I like.

Very nice man. Like that you are going for vertex paint instead of wrapping it. Trickier but you will learn things I’m sure :slight_smile:

Sculpted Eve’s hand and had a question/need some help. I’ve UV unwrapped the hand and the seams go around the base of the fingers. I’m going to texture paint it but I added a leather normal map for the tiny details. My question: is there a way to blur the seams so that the leather texture is more uniform rather than such harsh lines at the base of the fingers?

Sculpted Eve’s hand and had a question/need some help. I’ve UV unwrapped the hand and the seams go around the base of the fingers. I’m going to texture paint it but I added a leather normal map for the tiny details. My question: is there a way to blur the seams so that the leather texture is more uniform rather than such harsh lines at the base of the fingers?

Second attempt to post the picture of the hand.

Here’s a really low cycles count test render of the hand. Any advice on how to blend the hard seams on the hand together?

Very nice ab! For the seams, do you have seams marked and uv unwrapped or is it procedural? I would try unwrapping it differently and adding different seams. Also maybe use and HDRI for lighting as that will help too

Yeah either mark the seams on parts of the hand that will not be visible from the camera or just paint over the seams with texture paint. If I’m not mistaken you can use the same texture you have on the hand to texture paint. It’s been some time since I did something like that can’t remember the details from the top of my head.

Another recommendation is to use the inflate brush in sculpt mode to add some volume to the base of the thumb where it connects to the rest of the hand so the deformation will look slightly more realistic. But I like what you have here overall

Personally I’d go with a more procedural approach using generated instead of UV. Otherwise just try to put the seams on the backside. Might help if you show us edit mode and the UVs.

Thank you for the advice. It is a UV unwrapped and I should be able to redo the seams, although my mesh is ridiculously dense.

Thanks Alex. I was planning on touching up the base of the thumb and I like the idea of the inflate brush for that. It’s been a pivotal tool so far.

I’ll add an updated picture although I have a new problem that i’ll explain shortly.

I’m having trouble with the armature. So, originally I had bones and they were parented with automatic weights and there was no issue. Then I had to delete the bones and start over but now for some reason it won’t connect. I’ve tried undoing the parent, i’ve tried deleting the vertex groups, and nothing works. If anyone has any ideas that I haven’t tried that would be incredibly helpful!

Be sure locrotscale is applied. If you made changes to the mesh be sure to merge by distance also.The way the bones are laid out the thumb will act poorly most likely.

Thanks Crispy! I was able to make it work by spreading out the wrist bones and connecting them. Apparently, although i extruded from the arm bone, they weren’t connect although they looked like they were.