Chibi in need of help!

I’ve started working on a model meant to aid in making an anime-style chibi in order to make something with a cute model involved, something that could have multiple characters and it’d be a wonderful thing! I’m even following Alex’s Inner Circle tutorial about making different face combinations using UV-Mapping!

Problem is… I cannot find any images that is fitting to this style that actually have transparent backgrounds and I lack the ability to MAKE transparent backgrounds from existing images, nor images I create, save for my pixel sprites. I don’t want the chibi to have what looks like a piece of paper with a face on it in front of it.

How do I make / where can I find face parts with actual transparent backgrounds?

And before you say “just Google it”, I have. What I find are images that SAY they’re transparent backgrounds to their eyes and mouths, but they’re really just that fake PNG checkerboard and that trickery really hacks me off. I even tried to find the image Alex used for the IC tutorial and can’t find that via Google, either. Mind you, that wasn’t at all the style I’m going for with this, but it’d have been SOMETHING.

If I have to just draw my own, fine. But what program (aside the super-expensive Photoshop) can allow you to even have transparent backgrounds?

I just need help. We can’t let this cute chibi potential go on without a face, can we?

You can use Krita for drawing and Gimp for editing images with transparent backgrounds.

No1 When some software is expensive I always think to myself “What would Captain Jack Sparrow do?” and then I do it. :stuck_out_tongue:
No2 Paint3D that comes with all win10 installations, has an option that can “save with transparent canvas” and it’s literally just a tickbox and voila, transparent images.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-easily-remove-white-backgrounds-and-make-transparent-images-paint-3d-windows-10

No1. Quit it Jack

No2. Pait3D is a easy solution but could be limiting based on the background in the picture.

No.3 As Light said there are free options

Krita: is a powerful program that is close to photoshop and excellent.

Gimp: GImp is a good one too , though I don’t use it cause I do not like it myslef but I was trained in photoshop so may be why , you may like it.

Adobe Spark: I heard does transparency for backgrounds , suppose to be fairly easy. you can save it for free but adds watermark in corner , but i heard you can just crop it out.

remove.bg: I heard about this website , I don’t know much about it , never used it , but it may be a option for you https://www.remove.bg/

Hope this helps, If all these options fail , message me and I will see if I can help you with the images myself.

It’s not going to be since you can manually select which part of the picture to keep and which to discard. It’s the simplest solution and will work, there’s no need to overcomplicate this.

Thanks for the responses, guys! These along with a tip from a friend of mine has shown not all is lost! Hopefully I can update you all with the results of the face relatively soon!

Well, for the most part, I’m having to do this myself, so it’ll be a little bit of hit-and-miss on the art style and such. But after some exploration of options, I have managed to give my dear Chibi their eyes! I have the ability to create, mixing my mediums!

Thanks to everyone who pitched in to help me come up with a solution!

Looks great to me!

it looks nice, I would suggest a more distinct material with bump for the eyes the make them pop up a little bit.

I do agree that looks good. However, that’s a step beyond my knowledge of nodes, is why I didn’t think of that. Because of this, I must ask, what is the “Mix” section with the yellow header? That’s not the Mix Shader, as that has a green header.

That is the ‘mix RGB’ node

I used the eye image to make some places less rough since just using the Image to do that would result in some places having a roughness value of 1 or 0 which wouldn’t look great, I mixed it with gray color with the value of 0.5 to pull those 1 and 0 more to midle.

With the help of a Hue/Saturation node, one can also change the eye color without an entirely separate image sheet for eyes. I also re-drew the eyes and the shines are no longer mirrored, now.