Blender ( Cupcake tutorial) texturing part.

Hi. Would be nice if someone could help me out.Im following the tutorial on Alex´s channel ( Cupcake tutorial), at the part where he beggins adding the albedo texture it only adds the texture on the actual muffin but on mine it ads it to my muffin and to my cupcake holder. Thats my first question what do i need to change so that it doesnt happen like that. Second question is the part were im supposed to unwrap it the only thing that happens i get the texture pic but nothing to scale it with. Here some pics. Thanks.

Looks like both objects  are one object , and maybe that is confusing Blender what you are tryin to unwrap, I think you need to seperate the object into 2 seperate objects , select part of the wrapper, press L. That Should select all of the wrapper then Press P and seperate selected. Go into object mode then your object is should be split into 2 seperate objects. Hope this helps

To summarize conversations on the chat, also for others having same problems :

I’ll try to address the second question about UV. Haven’t viewed the tutorial yet, so I based these on observations. It seems you are using 2.7x, whereas unlike in 2.8, it doesn’t automatically give you a default UV mesh/layout. Especially for objects with volume like cubes, spheres, etc. if you use standard UV wrapping directly will give you that kind of result. 

One option is to make seams (for example on the edge loop near the edge like Gralous did) so that it can get properly unwrapped. Seams work like that in clothing, a sleeve for example, is combined from two flat pieces (or maybe one folded piece) stitched together to make the cylindrical shape. Unwrapping is like opening it so you’ll get the flat pieces. Hope it’s clear enough. 

Not sure if you have learned about seams, however. If not, you can also use ‘project from view’ method when doing unwrap. You will need to first set the view to top view on your viewport. This will give you UV layout from above/top view (btw you can also try other methods like smart UV projects too and see if it works well). Note that it’s one alternative for this case, might not be suitable to others. As you can see the bottom part of the muffin will also get the same texture applied to it, but since it isnt visible it doesnt matter much for this case. Hope this helps. Anyway, I guess Alex is the one with the real answer for the tutorial. :slight_smile:

Hey Lia! hopefully @Gralous and @purbosky helped you out already but yes the cupcake and the holder have to be separate meshes. select one part hit the L key to select all of it and then hit P to separate the selection.
As far as adding the UV image and scaling it, in the first screenshot I see that you have the vertices you can select but no image. Sometimes what you have to do is go to the image box next to the “New” button on the UV editor and just select the image you want to reload it :slight_smile:

Thx Gral

Thx Poo

Thx Alex 

Thx Po